Friday, July 17, 2009

More Virgin Spring

More Virgin Spring

My earlier post was a little hasty. Here's the link from Wikipedia for the original 12th or 13th century Swedish ballad which Bergman used for The Virgin Spring. Also, I had said that the foster daughter did not seem to have found redemption. I forgot that she's the first one to drink from the miraculous spring that comes up after the family finds their daughter. The symbolism is almost enough to hit you over the head but, I thought, still very effective as a movie device. It's interesting to read the original story. Bergman didn't write most of the movie version which some reviewers thought made it less of a good film along with the heavy-handed acting by several characters. Still, all in all, a fascinating film to spend an hour and a half with especially for me since I was confused as to who Bergman was and since it was in black and white I thought I was watching a film from 1920. It never occurred to me to wonder how the sound came out of their mouths. There is an option to listen to it in dubbed English which one reviewer made an interesting case for that being preferable to subtitles in every foreign language film.

"Töres dotter i Wänge" ("Töre's daughter in Vänge"), "Per Tyrssons döttrar i Vänge" ("Per Tyrsson's daughters in Vänge"), etc., is a medieval Swedish ballad on which Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring is based,[1].

Oh, I finally decided to actually read a certain sibling's FaceBook page and found out whose birthday is whose. Wow! How clever of me!

No comments: