Friday, April 24, 2009

Quickie time






Quickie time

 

Great news, folks! We have a decision in the US Senate re-re-re-re-re-count. Both contestants agreed to concede. Hallelujah, as Leonard Cohen would say who is going on tour and if anyone wants to send me lots of money then I would go see him but the tix are like too much.

 

The only other alternative, according to the judge, was to have Jesse Ventura referree a match between the two. They were going to rassle until the judge said they had to fight under their stage names: Self-Righteous Liberal and Never-Wrong Conservative. 

 

Speaking of Conservatives, I would be amiss if I didn't mark the passing of a true friend of Joe (McCarthy), Paul Harvey, age 90. I did enjoy listening to him, however, when I hitchhiked around the country years ago. It seemed like most people who gave me a ride had Harvey on the radio.

 

For some people, Harvey could be as irritating as that person in the theater who laughs louder than anyone and who always laughs before the joke gets finished or even started. It must be even more irritating if you happen to married to me. I mean, him. Sorry, Linda. Speaking of irritating, we saw this one in the theater.

 


 

Directed by David Frankel of The Devil Wears Prada (2006) fame but not related to Viktor Frankl of Man' Search for Meaning fame. Cute, funny at times, extraordinarily poor dog parenting. I know the book is much different and that Marley actually ends up passing the obedience school in real life, but the movie is what most people are seeing. A simple Gentle Leader collar can work wonders. Lots of other issues I would love to nitpick on but will spare you. However, we have a dog we love and would hope we could all be involved in what happens at the end instead of the really stupid way the movie has it end. Great scene with Kathleen Turner (she has rheumatoid arthritis and has changed a good bit due to the steroids, in case you were worried). OK, some of you probably loved this movie and we did to. It's just easy to pick on. Linda's probably going to get mad at me because she seemed to have an emotional response to it but she's probably more concerned with  how she can avoid sitting next to one of those irritating laugh-a-matics who hasn't had an emotional response since Whoppie Goldberg was a ghost.

 


 

Beautiful adaptation of the Henry James novel with a screenwriting by an Iranian. (just thought I would throw that in for anyone who has a connection to Iran). Helena Bonham Carter makes it hot in a brief R scene. 

 
The Revengers' Comedies (1998)

A very strange Helena Bonham Carter made-for-cable movie set in England but with no f-words. Interesting premise. Hard to follow. I'm not sure I finished it. Hard to tell.

Honeydripper (2007)

Directed by one of my favorites, John Sayles. OK movie but I was expecting more music. Not enough scenes with Keb' Mo' as the blind guitar player.

Righteous Kill (2008)

Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Hey, what could go wrong? Mostly the movie. It seemed like an excuse for two great actors to have a buddy film together.

Taken (2008/I)

Liam Neeson in one of the best suspense, action, thriller movies I've seen in long time. I'm really glad they kept it PG-13 which means there's no stupid love scenes to mess up a good car chase scene. Just the action. That's all a grown man needs.

Happy Birthday to Annie yesterday which is when I started writing this. Next up, Alex. Thanks, FaceBook.  Or whatever it's called.

No comments: