Sunday, January 20, 2008

3:10 to Yuma. The remake.


There are some movies I won't admit to watching and this was one of them. Until I looked it up on the IMDb to see how it got its favorable reviews. The more I read about it, the more I wanted to watch it again. I did. The next day.


It was fascinating the second time. The first time it struck me as the stupidest movie ever made. How could so many totally implausible film scenes get made? It all came together the second time, especially when I noticed Russell Crowe whistle 3 times in the first 20 minutes. It makes the ending powerful combined with what he says in the train station after what Christian Bale tells him while he's being choked. Listen carefully because both lines make the movie make sense. The implausible scenes are still implausible and completely distracting the first time. The second time they seemed either less implausible are less important. It's also very bloody and bloodthirsty, but on a second viewing it made sense in the story.


It's probably a film more for those of us men who have always doubted our manhood or who have always hoped for that moment when we could prove ourselves and then realize (hopefully) that we prove ourselves just by being the kind of man we are meant to be without having to be more heroic than just being a decent person.. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale's characters tell that story beautifully. There's also what has to be a great homoerotic character in Ben Foster's role of the second-in-command outlaw. His eyes at the bar scene when he realizes his hero has other interests!


The movie comes from a 1950's short story by Elmore Leonard, not to be confused with Elmore James who can be heard on a movie that Tish recommended, The Sheep Killers, a homoerotic CIA-al Queda buddy flick alternative to the Kite Runner. Not really, but it sounds exciting my way. Plus I got to use homoerotic twice even though Peter says I don't know what it means.

Tish is also the one who recommended I start a blog. When I asked how much and she said they're free, I said, Great, I'll take ten.

(Bart, didn't you mean to use that joke last time?)


Each character in 3:10 to Yuma has a story and most of them have a fate that fits their story, but it's hard to tell if it's redemptive or something else. The very annoying second-in-command banker sings a line to a song. I picked this up from the IMDb. I thought the age of the singer-songwriter was interesting.


"The title of the song used in the film is "The Arizona Killer" (lyrics and melody are by prolific Arizona folk singer/songwriter, Katie Lee http://www.myhero.com/myhero/hero.asp?hero=k_lee, still performing locally at age 88)"

It's a 1995 variation of an older ballad, "The Tennessee Killer" variously described as "Traditional" and an "Ozark Folk Song" (1rst known appearance: 1942)


The Arizona Killer

I killed a man in Dallas, And another in Cheyenne But when I killed the man in Tombstone I overplayed my hand

I rode all night for Tucson To rob the Robles Mine And I left old Arizona With a posse right behind

I rode across the border And there it did not fail The men that was a-follerin' me They soon did lose my trail; they lost my trail

They galloped back to Tucson To get the Cavalry While I stayed on in Mexico Enjoying liberty; Ayi-ha, enjoyed my liberty

I promised my Rosita A pretty dress of blue She said, "You'd go and get it If you really loved me true; did love me true"

So I went back to the border Just to get that gal a dress I killed a man in Guaymas And two in Nogales; killed two in Nogales

But the posse was a-waitin' To get me on the trail Now in Tombstone I'm a layin' In the Cochise County jail; the Cochise County jail

They-re gonna hang me in the morning A'fore this night is done They're gonna hang me in the mornin' And I'll never see the sun

I want to warn you fellers And tell you one by one What makes a gallows rope to swing A woman and a gun





The original 1942 song


The Tennessee Killer

Oh I've killed men in Georgia, And men in Alabam' But kill a man in Arkansas And God your soul will damn!

I'd killed a man in Memphis In the State of Tennessee, And I rode straight through to Arkansas With a posse after me.

I rode into the Ozarks And there it did not fail, The men that were a-following me They soon did lose the trail.

They rode right back to Memphis In the State of Tennessee, While I stayed in the Ozarks, Enjoyed my liberty.

But I went down to the city For to get my gal a frock, I killed a man in Conway And two in Little Rock.

The sheriff saw me do it, He got the drop on me, I went up to the jail-house, Give up my liberty.

So they'll hang me in the morning, Ere this long night is done, They'll hang me in the morning And I'll never see the sun.

Beware, beware, you fellows, If you must have your fun, Go do it in a harmless way, But do not touch a gun.

No comments: